30 Days of Gratitude 1.7-1.13

Forgive me, dear bloggers, as I have been off my blogging game in the last week. The last you heard, I was about to wrap up my final paper and finish my semester. My only excuse is that after 2 weeks straight staring at a computer screen, I turned off my computer for 3 days and returned only for minimal needed things in the last 3 days. It's monday and I'm ready to begin blogging daily again (ambitious, I know). But I want to finish this last half of the month well! 


While I have not been writing, I have not forgone my commitment to being thankful. So here's a summary of the last several days of things I'm thankful for....


.... turning off the computer ....
really, it is a wonderful thing to unplug for a bit. I stayed a bit connected on Twitter through my mobile, but mostly I just enjoyed the rest, reconnecting with friends, reading non-school related books, and watching mindless episodes of Dr. Who. Mostly, I slept for about 3 days. Or at least it felt like it. But let me tell you, after the last two months of emotional havoc in my life, I needed rest, I needed time with God, my family and friends who loved me unconditionally. I was so grateful for the first three days, and the following three days were so full of enjoyable and new experiences that I am overwhelmed with how well God loves me.

.... Faith Girls....
This is a program I'm involved in at Blue Ridge Community Church. I was teaching friday night on Faith, and let me tell you, did God ever decide to stretch my faith in the months prior to, the week and day of the event. I'm thankful for the opportunity to teach, because of the way God stretches me to walk through what I share with these 2nd-5th grade girls every month. It's an amazing thing God does and I can't tell you how it blesses me to be nearly tackled by girl after girl on that friday night event because they're so excited to see me, tell me about their week and hear from God's word. My faith was increased exponentially on Friday night. There is so much I could write about it, but there's much more to share with you.

....God's word....
Everyday since I wrapped school, I made a commitment to dig into God's word for my own heart's benefit. I read each morning when I opened my eyes, while still laying in bed. It was so helpful to start my day with God's voice and truth ringing in my heart. I've begun a "Bible in 90 Days" reading plan with a couple of good friends and I'm excited for what God's going to do in my heart through it, and what God will do in each of them. I"m thankful too that I have multiple versions and bibles at my fingertips any time of day or night. Knowing there are people in Africa who have only a page and cherish that one page like their own life...it reminds me to be more careful with the gift of God's word we have. All in all, though, I am thankful that His word is LIFE breathing into the broken, hurt and impaired parts of my heart...working to repair, mend and lift out of the dirt. He is glorious and His word is life.

....finishing well....
This is a concept that is near and dear to my heart as I know plenty of people who embark on projects, activities, blogs, books, etc and never finish. I tend towards that, I get excited and jazzed about something but life gets me busy, life gets me hurt...and derails all my plans. Sometimes it's God appointed and those times are ok. But derailed by my own lack of motivation or discipline is something I am giving to God and moving through. School is an area that helps me stay with my "nose to the grindstone" and finish well. This semester, I had three 26+ pages to complete and turn in as my final projects for grad school. It felt like drowning, I'm not going to lie and there were moments when I just wanted to throw in the towel, turn in whatever lame amount of pages I had and be done. But, I had sweet friends of mine who were my cheerleaders encouraging all along and a sneaky voice in my head reminding me that God would be honored if I finished well. I got my grades from my classes and three papers yesterday. I was shocked at how well I finished. I was sure that the emotional distress and stress of the last two months would have derailed my ability to do well. Maybe God gave my professors grace, or maybe I really did do well. I'm not sure, but I'm thankful that God was honored in my tenacity to not give up when I definitely wanted to.

...cheerleaders....
Mad props to my cheerleaders. Holly, Betsy, Alicia, David, Mike, Kim, Crystal, Morgan, Brother, Sister in Law, peeps in the Twitterverse and Facebook too that I can't even remember ....all of them really blew my mind with daily texts, messages, notes, etc just reminding me to tough it out, that I was a rock star and that this semester would be over....the light in the tunnel was coming. And when I finished.... every.single.one.of.them. told me how proud they were of me, celebrated with me via message, and encouraged me to celebrate in some way. I am telling you right now, there is NO way I would have made it through the last two months without that band of arm holders. So seriously my greatest loves.

...prayer....
it's powerful. I saw God answer the prayers of an 9 year old little girl. answer my prayers, answer the prayers of a friend and all around show up every single time we opened our mouths to pray. Not always in the way we expect or want, but He's present in prayer in ways we can't even wrap our brains around. I'm so thankful for the access we have to His heart in prayer. What a GIFT!

...a million little things....
candles...instrumental music...lamp light....rainy days....disc golf...community...BBQ Burgers...hugs...kisses...cuddly blankets...naps...cute puppies....pintrest....online chatting....flip flops....dr. pepper....clean sheets...the smell of lavender...Adele....dropbox...printers at school...my personal editor... Dr. Who...British Television in general...surprises and fun gifts... books, their smell, feel and presence...clean clothes...hot showers...fun smelling soaps...whispers of hope...dinner with friends....pizza...text messages that make me smile...text messages that make me cry...just text messages in general....Once Upon a Time...movie watching friends...the Big Bang Theory....barefoot days...blue jeans...soft and comfy dresses...braids...starbucks afternoons...hot coffee, iced coffee and everything coffee inspired...frozen yogurt and fresh fruit...nail polish...fun make up...cute shoes...did i mention whispers of hope...a comfy couch....a big tv to watch movies...memories....my nook...fuzzy socks...and lots and lots more.....

Ok, so I'm hoping to resume regular posts tomorrow. :) God bless and find some gratitude today! 





Comments

Popular Posts